Tuesday, May 20, 2008

it's been a while! and I have questions!

I know I haven't been on in a while, but I just haven't had much to say. I suppose I could say something just for the sake of saying something, but that would be pointless and no fun at all.
Well, let's see... in my quiet time recently I read something that disturbed me. In 1Corinthians 14:33-38 It says "As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgracful for a woman to speak in the church."
Ok, first of all I might be mistaken in being angered by this because I thought it might be an old custom, but he says he is speaking to all the saints, in other words anyone who has a relationship with Christ. I also thought that it sounds like Paul's interpretation of the Law, as in the Lord asks women to submit to their husbands and then he extends it to mean the church as well. It also confuses me because isn't this the same guy that said we are no longer bound by the Law? I have no husband so if this is correct then should I be bound to it as well? And I have to ask myself if it is a command that I would follow myself? I'm not saying I would abandon my faith, just that I don't think I would follow a command that I don't agree with, made by a sinful man. I know God brought this up so I wouldn't place his apostles on the same level as Him. It's just that it has made me wonder what commands have we been given by men and which ones are from God?
I know the Bible is God ordained, but after it was written? The Catholics added on to it why couldn't someone else?
This just keeps bringing more questions, and all I know is I know nothing.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I'll have to think about that one, but I'll try and get you an answer!!